Press-Gazette • September 15, 2010
Fire caused an estimated $45,000 damage to a 1½-story house on Green Bay’s northeast side early Tuesday afternoon.
When crews arrived at 12:39 p.m., they found heavy white smoke pouring from an upstairs bedroom window at 1239 Klaus St., said Ed Jarosz, Green Bay Fire Department battalion chief.
Four adults, three children, three dogs and a bird were on their way out of the single-family home when firefighters arrived.
The blaze was extinguished in about 15 minutes, Jarosz said. No one was injured.
The fire started in an upstairs bedroom, though its cause was not immediately determined. Electrical problems apparently have been ruled out, but not careless use of smoking materials, lighters or matches, Jarosz said.
The fire was contained to the upper floor. Firefighters put down tarps to prevent water damage to an estimated $80,000 worth of property on the first floor.
The Lakeland Chapter of the American Red Cross assisted the seven people displaced by the fire.
The property is owned by June Whetung and valued at $91,000, according to Brown County land records.