GREEN BAY – A mattress caught fire at a Green Bay apartment complex Sunday afternoon forcing residents to evacuate.
Fire officials responded to the blaze at 1633 Janice Avenue on the city’s west side around 4:00.
Battalion Chief Dan Truckey said careless use of smoking materials caused the blaze.
The fire was contained to a bedroom in the 24 unit building.
Smoke alarms alerted residents and most self evacuated the building.
A police officer suffered smoke inhalation and was taken to a hospital.
Residents returned to most of the units in the building after crews extinguished the blaze.
Authorities said the fire caused an estimated $20,000 in damages.
The Green Bay Police Department, the Red Cross, Green Bay Transit, and Wisconsin Public Service all assisted with the fire.
Red Cross Assistance: Thank goodness only four units damaged. Red Cross is helping two adults displaced with lodging and money for clothing and food. The two other people displaced are staying with friends. 20 Residents in the near by apartments able to return after a few hours. Seven volunteers in total helping at the scene and supporting the emergency crews with coffee and snacks.